Roadwork FAQ

What is a right-of-way (ROW)?

The right-of-way is a strip of land occupied or intended to be occupied by a street, crosswalk, railroad, road, electric transmission line, gas pipeline, water main, sanitary or storm sewer main, shade tree, or for another special use. ROW width varies but in most residential neighborhoods, it extends several feet behind the road edge, curb, or sidewalk.

My sprinkler system, electric dog fence, landscaping, and/or mailbox were damaged during construction. Will the contractor fix this?

In accordance with Township Code Section 16-5.14a,11 and policies, private improvements are not permitted within the street right-of-way, with the exception of mailboxes and driveways. Our contractors make every effort to avoid damaging private items, however, this is not always possible during sidewalk, storm inlet, or road repairs. We encourage all homeowners to mark underground sprinklers, dog fences, etc. with white paint or flags after receiving a project start notice. Some contractors will make temporary repairs at their discretion. Property owners should move the improvement onto the taxable portion of the property when making permanent repairs.

Will I be reimbursed if I fix it myself?

The Township does not reimburse property owners for private items in the ROW that become damaged during construction, especially sprinklers and electric dog fences. Damaged mailboxes will be repaired, replaced, or reimbursed at the discretion of the Township Engineer. The maximum mailbox reimbursement is $100.00 with a valid receipt post-dating the damage. Standard post office compliant mailbox and timber post will be used for replacement, also not to exceed $100.00.

I have or will be applying for a Building Permit in the next few years. I want to connect to or upgrade my utility services. Will this be affected by paving?

Road Opening permits (ROP) for water/gas service connections, utility upgrades, sewer connections, etc. will not be issued for three (3) or five (5) years following resurfacing or reconstruction, respectively, if the work involves opening the road pavement. Previously approved ROP’s are automatically cancelled if work is not completed before paving. Residents who wish to upgrade their utility services should contact the appropriate utility company immediately. We will expedite ROP applications. Coordinate with your contractor/utility to ensure work is done on time.

Why did the Township not replace all of the defective sidewalk in front of my house?

In accordance with Township Code Section 11-5.2 and policies, the Engineering Department assesses and determines the extent of all sidewalk repairs. Funds are prioritized towards ADA curb ramp improvements and replacing sidewalk that presents a higher risk to public safety. Cracked, visually displeasing, or salt damaged sidewalk panels may not be replaced. With this in mind, if you feel that we need to reevaluate an area, please call us.

Why did the Township not replace my driveway’s curb, apron, and sidewalk?

Just as the Township is responsible for maintaining public roads, property owners are responsible for their driveways to the edge of the road. The depressed curb, apron, and sidewalk are considered part of the driveway in Montgomery Township. Township Code Section 11-5.2 puts the property owner, occupant, private contractor, or responsible party in charge of replacing the damaged driveway and sidewalk. These damages typically come from regular use, excessive salting, or damage by their private contractors. One exception to this rule is driveway damage from a street shade tree. In this case, we will repair the damages within the ROW only.

Can I replace sidewalk panels that the township did not replace?

Residents may replace additional public sidewalk at their own cost beyond what the Township replaces. Road Opening permits are required and all Codes and standards must be followed. Application fees, performance guarantees, and insurance documentation apply.

Tree roots were cut during sidewalk replacement, will this affect the tree?

Tree roots must sometimes be cut and removed to replace sidewalk correctly. If needed, we have the Township Landscape Architect perform follow up inspections. If you notice a tree not faring well at a later time, please call us.

My lawn was disturbed during the project, when will this be restored?

Lawns are restored at the end of the project during growing seasons using topsoil, seed, and stabilization measures. Sod is not used in any circumstances. The seed we specify may not match the rest of your grass. Owners may restore their lawns at their own cost if they have requirements that exceed our stabilization standards. The Township will not reimburse these costs. The best results are usually achieved when owners help to water the area, otherwise we rely on moisture retained by mulch placed by the contractor. Please be aware that weeds tend to find their way to bare soil areas. We will not place weed control as it may prevent seed growth.

Will we be notified when work begins?

Our contractors are required to notify affected residents, businesses, and homeowners associations before work begins. For high traffic areas, construction notice signs are usually installed.

When does construction take place?

Construction work occurs on weekdays between 7 am and 7 pm. Work is not done on weekends or Township recognized holidays except in case of emergency.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Salt can damage new concrete. For the first winter, please avoid applying salt to new panels.

View All FAQ's

Community Center

Otto Kaufman
356 Skillman Road
Skillman, NJ 08558
(609) 466-3023

Main Offices


Emergency: Dial 911
Non-Emergency: (908) 359-3222