Marriage License / Vital Stats

PLEASE NOTE: Registrar Services will be unavailable 4/18/23 to 4/21/23

Vital Records

Because there are no hospitals or funeral homes in Montgomery Township, the local Registrar of Vital Statistics records very few birth and death certificates. Births and deaths at a hospital will be recorded in the town where the hospital is located.

If you require a copy of a birth or death record that is on file locally, you may obtain a certified (sealed) copy of the document from the Registrar for $20.00 per copy by calling (908) 359-8211, extension 2227, or by mailing a request and providing the appropriate identifying information. Appointment required.

Getting a Marriage or Civil Union License in New Jersey

An appointment is required to submit this form. Read below carefully. Paper copies of the application form are also available in the Health Dept. office.

Do I need an appointment?

Yes, contact Jennifer Foster, Registrar of Vital Statistics, at (908) 359-8211 ext. 2227.

Does the Registrar have any evening or weekend hours?

Unfortunately, no, not at this time.

How can I get a certified (sealed) copy of my marriage license?

You will need to request sealed (certified) documents from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the incorporated municipality in which the marriage was performed, or from the State Registrar (this usually takes longer). Contact Registrar for an application.

Please note that as of July 1, 2010, residents born in Puerto Rico will have to obtain a new certified copy of their birth certificate under a new law passed by the government of Puerto Rico. Call 787-767-9120.

How do I apply?

The prospective couple and a witness over the age of 18 will appear before the registrar in the appropriate municipality to apply for a license. By appointment only: Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9:00am and 3:00pm.

Please note: you cannot apply until you have a set date of marriage and have an officiant reserved.

How much does it cost?

The marriage license costs $28.00, to be paid for at the time of application. You may pay with a personal check or with cash. If you pay in cash, please bring exact change.

What do I need to bring?

Both parties will need to provide a valid driver’s license or valid passports. If you have been married before and are divorced or widowed, you must know your ex-spouses full name, date your divorce was finalized, along with town and state where the divorce took place. At least one spouse-to-be must have documented proof that he/she is a resident of Montgomery Township. This can be a driver’s license or if driver’s license does not show a Montgomery address, you must provide a utility bill or bank statement showing a Montgomery address.)

You must know your social security numbers.

You must also know your parents’ names at birth along with where they were born.  It may be state or country.

The first page of the licensing application must be completed before your appointment. Do NOT complete page 2. Please bring the form with you to your appointment. Application must be typed; we do not accept hand-written applications.

What incorporated municipality do I live in?

It is important to know that in New Jersey, postal addresses are NOT necessarily the same as the incorporated municipality. While your postal address may be Skillman, Belle Mead, Princeton, Blawenburg, or Hopewell, the incorporated municipality definitely is Montgomery for Skillman (08558), Belle Mead (08502), and Blawenburg (08504) zip codes but may or may not be Montgomery Township for Princeton (08540) or Hopewell (08525) zip codes. A Princeton address can be located in any number of municipalities in several counties, for example. Unless you know for certain, it is ALWAYS best to ask the registrar how to determine the incorporated municipality in which you live.

When can I apply?

You must apply for the license at least 4 days before you want to pick up the license. Remember to account for weekends and holidays, when the Registrar is usually not available (i.e. if you want the license for a Saturday wedding, you must apply by the preceding Tuesday or earlier, if Friday is a holiday).

Where should I apply?

To know this you must answer several questions:

  1. Does either party live in the incorporated municipality of Montgomery Township? 

    • If yes, apply to the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the Health Department in Montgomery Township. Call Jennifer Foster at (908) 359-8211 ext. 2227 for an appointment.

  2. Does either party live in another municipality in New Jersey? 

    • If yes, apply to the Registrar in the incorporated municipality where either party lives.

A license issued under the previous circumstances is good for use anywhere in the State of New Jersey.

If neither party lives in the State of New Jersey, and they intend to be married in New Jersey, then they must apply for the license in the incorporated municipality where they intend to be married. The license is only good for use in that municipality.

A New Jersey marriage or civil union license may never be used outside of the State of New Jersey and a license issued in another state may never be used within the State of New Jersey.

View All FAQ's

Community Center

Otto Kaufman
356 Skillman Road
Skillman, NJ 08558
(609) 466-3023

Main Offices


Emergency: Dial 911
Non-Emergency: (908) 359-3222