Frequently Asked Questions

Are you allowed to run a home business out of your home?

Yes, but there are specific requirements for each stage of Home Occupation. The first stage is a no-fee Home Occupation Application. Depending on the home occupation request, it may require minor site plan approval from the Planning Board. For information about this contact the Zoning Officer.

Do I need a permit to place a patio, fence or shed on my property?

Yes, you can download a Zoning Application here. Sheds over 200 square feet require a building permit in addition to a zoning permit. A Zoning Permit is also required to expand your driveway.

What is the minimum lot size and setbacks for my property?

There are special requirements for setbacks in cluster and apartment/townhouse zoning. You will have to contact the zoning officer at (908) 359-8211 to gain that information. Other zones can view your minimum lot size and setbacks here. If your lot is between 1 and not exceeding 2 acres you will fall under R-1 setbacks. In other zoning districts, depending on the lot size, your dwelling may be grandfathered under the code. You should contact the zoning officer for setback information. Pools and pool equipment fall under accessory building setbacks, but do not have to be 20 feet away from the house. There are some special considerations for existing structures that do not meet the current setbacks. For information about this contact the Zoning Officer.

Pool License Application

What zone is my property in?

You can find what zone your property is in by viewing our Zoning Map.

View All FAQ's

Community Center

Otto Kaufman
356 Skillman Road
Skillman, NJ 08558
(609) 466-3023

Main Offices


Emergency: Dial 911
Non-Emergency: (908) 359-3222